The news from TVN Panama indicated that the water is unfit for human consumption in the district of Boquete but didn’t specify which areas, is this correct and do the local restaurants have safe drinking water?  I ask because my Panamanian sister in-law is hospitalized with a serious gastrointestinal infection and believes she may have consuming contaminated water while visiting her home in Alto Boquete. Can anyone identify any areas that are experiencing water quality issues and should restaurants or public water sources in town be avoided?   Would anyone like to elaborate?

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alto Boquete has had problems with amoebas in the water in the past.  I would not trust any water here.  The quality goes up and down depending on location and the time of year. Pipes go through cow pastures, and pipes break, contaminating the water.  I filter then boil my water.  I don't trust UV purification either.  I think the water passes by the light too fast to kill bacteria. 

Judy we too have a newly installed water filtration system that includes a UV lamp that moves the water very slowly through the light chamber so much so that is tends to heat up the water in addition to secondary micro fiber and charcoal filters. With our system we also have several sediment filters built into the system before it ever reaches the house. It also helps to have good water quality to start with which we seem to have however we’re not always at home so exposure to questionable water sources is unavoidable plus as you rightfully state it’s the distribution systems that one needs to be vigilant.

My wife and I frequent many of the restaurants in Boquete and are concerned about possible health risks. Do you know of a reliable laboratory that one can have water samples tested?

How about capturing rain water as an alternative for safe drinking water, does anyone have experience with this? 

The provided link does not lead to any story about Boquete water quality.

Perhaps you should consider searching a little deeper in TVN’s archives for the information you seek Mr. Woolford, I don’t feel inclined to help you with that issue. BTW is your water safe and do you utilize any filtration systems in Brisas?   My sister in-laws who is in hospital with gastrointestinal problems has a home a little farther north of your subdivision where they are experiencing an unsafe water situation and from there the water flows south towards your location. Be careful to check out your water and please report back if you find any contamination issues.

The onus is not on the reader to search for anything.

No link, no story.

WHERE I LIVE IN VOLCANCITO THE WATER IS UNSAFE TO DRINK AND THIS GOES BACK 20+ YEARS. MY DOCTOR HAD TO COME TO MY HOME TO ADMINISTER MEDICATION AND ADVISED ME AT THAT TIME TO NEVE DRINK THE TAP WATER, HE CARRIED A FLASK OF BOILED WATER. MY NEIGHBOR HAD THE WATER CHECKED AND IT CAME BACK E-COLI POSITIVE. I HAVE FIVE FILTERS BEFORE THE WATER REACHES MY WATER TANK AND THEY HAVE TO BE CLEANED OR REPLACE AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK. WE BOIL ALL THE WATER CONSUMED. LIKE JUDY, I DO NOT TRUST UV PURIFICATION EITHER, WE LOSE ELECTRICITY SO OFTER THAT WHO KNOWS WHAT PASSES BY THE UV SYSTEM WHEN ELECTRICITY IS OFF.

The government is spending 25 million dollars to build water purification plants and install piping throughout Boquete.

That should provide some indication of the water quality issues with Boquete's water supply.

If it helps, here is a result of a search of ning:

http://boquete.ning.com/main/search/search?q=water+systems

RSS

© 2018   Created by JLM Foundation.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

}, 'google_translate_element'); }