location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

Bug bites!

We are being eaten alive.  Location: Palo Alto.  Favorite target areas: lower legs (have taken to wearing long pants)  elbows and back of upper arms - see photos.  Do not see or feel them biting, it is only after they have bitten do the bites start itching.  The bite looks like a mosquito bite - a puncture mark in the center with a welt surrounding it.  My husband was working in the yard yesterday afternoon. and was bitten about 20 times  on each arm (just below his T shirt sleeve).

No see ums?  What repels them?  How do you avoid being bitten?

We do not get bit when we hike or are outdoors in other areas, but our yard/garden area is not safe.  Any and all suggestions are apprecaited.

Thanks.

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello!!

I was just on the Avon website....they're running a special right now buy one ($14.00) get one for .99---I'm visiting in July. Does anyone want me to purchase some and bring with me?? We can meet one Tuesday at the market. Let me know in the next day or so. (Not sure how long the special will last and I want to order some for myself)

~Cynthia*

• hello cynthia ~ i would like to get one bottle $14.00 & one for .99

i can meet up with you at the tuesday market.

thanks for offering to do this.  

regards,

susan

susan.lango.frank@gmail.com

• Cynthia. I would love to get in on your offer and thanks!!

• Hi Ladies!!

I'll get you both the buy one/ get one offer. What a bargain hugh? I arrive mid July so we'll meet at the Tuesday market. You'll have to find me since I don't know what you look like. See you then!!  :))

~Cynthia*

• wonderful...thank you so much.  as we get closer to that time, we can set up a time & meeting spot at the tuesday market?  have safe travels & always try to be happy (which is sometimes hard when traveling :)  regards, susan

p.s.  would you like the money in advance?

• Hi Susan!!

I'm always happy when traveling to Panama-- No worries there!! So I was just on the Avon website again, apparently they charge tax so we'll just add a couple bucks to everyone's order making it $17.00 per person. No need to pay up front- we'll just settle things in person. As it gets closer we'll make a plan. See you all then!!  :))

~Cynthia*

• Hi Cynthia,

I have just been reading all this as I try not to gouge my right leg and foot which was the last attack area 2 days ago.  I have been here about 11 weeks and am all scars on my feet from these things.  I now use ice to calm the insane itching which for me lasts almost a week with swelling, seeping plasma liquid until all the swelling goes down - what a mess.  I tried last year to get the Avon product and the person doing the order sent me Skin so Soft - not what I asked for but I guess she did not know her products well.

I too would like the 2 bottles and will be happy to meet up at the market.  My email is krall1720@gmail.com.  I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to trying it!!

Karen.......

• I think that there is an Avon rep near Santa Lucia that had a couple of bottles available for $18 per bottle, but it lasts a long time (about 3 months for me). I wil try to see if she has any left if you are interested. (I am not trying to sell anything for her- I would just put you in touch with her ).

B.J. Allen

bjall@aol.com

• To all those who are being eaten alive- I have found the answer. As I wrote before, I was also eaten alive on my first 2 visits to Panama and considered not coming here because I could not spend the rest of my life scratching my legs and arms raw. I did a lot of reading on the internet and on one of the Costa Rica forums I found the one thing that almost everyone who answered said worked. It is Avon Expedition in the pump spray bottle. I have never used Avon products, but ordered some anyway and came to Panama with my Expedition and wearing my short sleeved shirt and shorts for 2 weeks and not one bite. I found out it is also a sun screen and does not feel greasy or stink. Since I started using this stuff I have not gotten one bite. I forgot to use it one morning and got eaten alive again. I used the Costa Rica treatment of betadine mixed 1:1  with hydrogen peroxide applied with a Q tip and when the top hardens removing it with another Q tip and applying Triple antibiotic cream and cover with band aid for one day. I am not a doctor and not giving medical advice, only reporting on something I read on the Costa Rica forum that they said worked and it worked for me.  If I catch the bite early on I use my Grandfather's (he was a doctor) remedy for all bites and stings and mix tobacco with water or saliva   to a paste and apply to bite or sting and within a few hours- no more itching and it heals real fast. He used this for all bites and stings (especially bees and wasps) and it has always worked for me as long as I do it withiin a few hours of the sting. Hope this helps someone- the Avon Expedition has sure helped me- I do not think I could live in Panama without it. I am not sure if the local Avon agents can get it now, but you can get it in the US or order from Amazon. Good Luck and any questions email me at bjall@aol.com.

B.J. Allen

Volcancito

• The last time I tried to find it, Expedition was not available in Panama. Have you found it here? If so, where?

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…