location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

This question may be polemic for some, or taken out of context by others but I am intrigued.

Since Panama is enforcing more strict immigration rules in an effort to eliminate the perennial tourist and habitual border hopper and encourage expats to become permanent residents of Panama, I have learned of several expats from Canada, US and Russia who are opting out of Panama and moving to other countries.

I know that Panama's ongoing immigration changes can be discouraging to some, but it really shouldn't as Panama has a wide variety of Visas that give you residency, not limited to Friendly Nations, Pensionado or Investment.  There are even medical visas that allow you to stay one or two years for medical care, so the options are there and my question is:

Why would someone who has been established in Panama for a number of years not become a resident?

Why start over somewhere new, knowing that one cannot be a tourist in a nation forever and that eventually that new country will require residency as well?

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• People who are unhappy living here for any reason should really explore other options, the first being to return home where they're more comfortable with a known environment. To be unhappy is to be unhealthy.
  • Yes Olga I am checking out next month after many years here even though a resident. If you add up all the money wasted on poor service and incorrect information it runs into the thousands for me and I believe I am well ahead of the curve. I think that is how this country is thriving. Plus this is a small country and beginning to feel like GroundHog day. Anyway too tired here and ready for new horizons.

• As recent immigrants,(1.5 years) I don't see any saving in the cost of basic goods, cleaning supplies and food, especially if one uses ANY processed products..  If a person is not able to afford a gardener and housekeeper, on their social security retirement income, then the only advantage is the weather.  That is not a good enough trade off to be apart from one's family and close friends on a permanent basis. Starting a business, even under the Friendly Nations Visa, is difficult and expensive (so we found out), so that does not encourage new business start ups.  In every country, competition is a good thing and will encourage a higher quality of service from the suppliers, be it native or foreigner.  Case in point, once the high season was past, people began clearing out of Boquete and moving to other countries, plus the pressure of the opening of the new Super Baru, there was a noticeable improvement in the service at Romeros. .  No criticism of Romeros, actually that is a thumbs up to show some business acumen, realizing the competition is going to get  more stiff for the remaining customer base.  There are so many new businesses that could be started in the Boquete area but there is no encouragement to do so.  The attorneys are another whole topic that would require a lengthy response but like most countries the laws are made by and benefit the lawyers.  Enuf said on that.  But they are killing the goose that lays the proverbial golden egg by not taking a more creative approach to resolving the "permanent tourist" problem. They could get 5 intelligent American business men, or Canadians or Germans together in a room for two hours and come up with a better solution.  In the US, we call it American ingenuity, not sure how they refer to it in Canada or Germany.  Oh well.  Welcome to Panama!

• @Wayne and Nancy. I am a EU citizen. If a want to retire in the USA, no way of a residents permit as a non working pensionado with US$ 60,000 income per year. In Europe an American can get a residence permit as pensionado. So do not complain about Panama. Anyway I get my pensions in Euros and since December I get almost 10% more due to the depreciations of Dollar.  Killing the Goose is better than the USA bombing and killing millions of innocent people around the world!!!!

• Excellent response. The only thing I would quibble with on the financial front is to note that the cost of labor is minuscule compared to that of developed countries. As we get older and our money stretches less far, and as we simultaneously become less able to maintain things ourselves,  inexpensive labor is a godsend. My guess is that labor here is a quarter of what it is in the U.S., maybe less.

• In theory labor is a lot cheaper yes.....but what good does it do you if you cant find anybody to work.......? All the more motivated people are caught up in the big construction projects and there is a certain % who just arent interested in working.....I pass able bodied guys in the middle of the day goin up or down the hill here in Boqueron and I just wonder why they dont answer my ad or come knocking on my door like the old daze........Theyre too bizy playin with their phones and just foolin around......No doubt its easier in Boquete cuz theres more population but here in my area labor is scare.....and whoever is willing to work is holding the cards and can pretty much name their price.......Meanwhile the cost of labor in Nicaragua is a third to a quarter of what it is here, and unemployment is still high.........

• It is not just lawyers. I know somebody who totally qualified on a corporate pension pensionado and after 2.5 yrs of trying, threw in the towel. Why? Multiple reasons, some of which were 3 different immigration directors in that period, and on and on.

The recommended successes are a crapshoot, to my dismay (other recommendations too). Some of these people got lucky for a time. I know 3 highly recommended people that when I used them failed miserably. Competence, diligence and consistency are not strong here.

Right now CL has an excellent podcast by Dan Porter that relates to the vagaries he experienced over 5 yrs. trying to get residence. It's like the border crossing, to quote Forrest Gump "It's like a box of chocolates"

I would suggest investigation all the nearby countries, none of which require attorneys, as an alternative. At least that would remove a major crimp in the process.

• If I read it correctly he didnt say he was denied a visa. He said he was ripped off by the lawyers every time.......Has happened to friends of mine too.....Both here and in Costa Rica......numerous times.....another reason to not do it, haha.......The reasons to not do it outnumber the reasons to do it........

• We Applied for our Visa's numerous times in the past 7 years that we have been here.  And have lost Thousands due to we Just keep getting ripped off by Lawyers. And with Panama's Legal system being a joke we were not able to do anything but cut our losses. We Recently did the so called Border hop at 5 months, Stayed out 4 days as soon as we presented our Passports to the Lady at the desk she said it's 30 days out, we will be denying you entry today. And got deported back to Costa Rica. (If you stay 3 months on your 6th month visa YOU ONLY HAVE TO STAY 3 DAYS OUT. 5-6 MONTHS IS THE FULL 30.) We ended up staying a few more days at the border while contacting numerous Lawyer's and all they could say was I've never dealt with a situation like this. And just kept telling us that we will have to wait the remainder of the 30 days. So I went back again and talked to a few Agents that were working there and they told us to just go to San Jose and fly into Tocumen INTL. Implying that they can't deny us entry, and that their immigration is different there. After we made the trek to San Jose and got a Hotel to catch our flight the next morning. Our flight was canceled due to Immigration. So they  booked us on an afternoon flight to El Salvador, with a Connecting Flight to Tocumen INTL. Finally we arrived, filled out the new Forms that Every Foreigner must fill out. And the Lady Practically let us in besides asking a few simple questions. And just as that after 3 straight days of Traveling and alot of money spent, we made it back to Chiriqui. So yes I can INDEED say that it has affected My Family, as we are looking for other places to live rather sooner this year. And let me just say. I haven't ever been through so much Bullshit in my life. Thanks for reading My Experience.

• It is sad to hear cases like yours
This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…