BORON, ESSENTIAL FOR YOU AND YOUR GARDEN

Do you have plants that just sit there and do not grow?  Do you have tasteless fruit?  I did too.  I literally tried everything that I could think of to “feed” my plants.  For example, my pink plumeria just would not grow, there would be three leaves at the end of each branch, but no more.  My figs produced well, but the fruit was tasteless. 

When I moved to Palmira Abajo, the soil was a horrible clay, caliche.  I went on a relentless mission of building good soil with biochar, mulch, cover crops, manure.  We sprayed milk, molasses and compost teas of all kinds.  I planted all kinds of nitrogen fixing legumes, such as, tithonia, guandu (also called pigeon pea), balo, pinto beans, black eyed peas, black beans, navy beans, and other “fertilizer” plants.  When I had the soil tested, the results indicated that my soil project was very successful, but I still had some plants that did not thrive.

Then, I developed hurting knees.  I tried out Bob Gregory’s liquid boron and within just over a month, the pain diminished and then shortly disappeared.  I was thrilled at such an inexpensive remedy, but my organic garden produce should have provided the best of nutrition.  I went to Superiores and bought their boron and molybdenum foliar spray and directed my chief gardener to spray it weekly on all food plants, bushes and trees.  To my amazement my pink plumeria (which was growing in the sweet potato patch) began to add leaves and grow!  It had just stayed as it was when I bought it in 2014.  (We moved it from one location thinking that it needed more sun.). 

I had planted two fig trees about ten feet apart. One grew well, but the other just stayed the same size.  We dug up the tree that was not growing and replaced the soil around it with the best black soil that we had.  It died anyway.  The one that grew produced lots of figs, but they were tasteless.  We sprayed the figs well as the blackberries, with lots of milk and molasses, with no improvement in the sweetness. 

Then I began to research boron for plants.  It is essential for transporting nutrients efficiently to the areas where new plant cells are produced.  If it is missing, then the plant cannot grow much.

Chemical fertilizers tend to leach boron from the soil.  They take the air from the soil which is essential for soil microbes, and without the microbes to convert soil nutrients into usable versions for the plants, deficiencies evolve. 

Areas where there is a wet and a dry season also tend to have low boron.  During the dry season, many plants die and fall to the ground.  When the rains begin again, the nutrients in the decaying plants are released within 48 hours after the first heavy rain, according to Hugh Lovel, an internationally recognized soil expert.  Then the next heavy rain washes these essential nutrients away. 

Swales, terraces and ground cover function to keep water on the land as long as possible to conserve the micronutrients which are necessary for soil microbe habitats and other small life forms that till the soil.

Boron can be bought as a foliar spray at the Superiores agricultural store next to the last service station going out of town.  Their product also includes molybdenum, which is another essential plant micronutrient.

According to gardeningknowhow.com,  “Even as a trace mineral, molybdenum for plant growth is an essential element. In the absence of enough of the mineral, leaves turn pale and eventually die, flowers fail to form and some plant species experience malformed leaf blades in a condition called whiptail.”  They also advise that using it as a foliar spray is ideal because it delivers the nutrient to the plant without excessive absorption into the soil.  Thus, the combination of boron and molybdenum is a very sensible. 

Both boron and molybdenum are natural elements.  Boron is extracted from boric acid and molybdenum is also mined from the soil. 

Please let me know if this information has helped you.  As I grow in my plant knowledge, I will share more with you, that is, if you would like to receive it. 

And thank you, Bob Gregory, for educating me about boron. 

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Betty. I'll give it a try!

Thanks for the mention, Betty.  I, in turn, need to thank Dr. Rex Newnham, who was a plant scientist in Australia around 50 years ago.  He developed arthritis, and the medicine prescribed by his doctor didn't help.  He knew that plants needed boron to properly absorb and use calcium.  He made a Boron supplement for himself and found that his arthritis went away.  There was a strong demand for his supplement, and in a few years he was selling around 10,000 bottles per month.  But a pharmaceutical company ratted on him to the Australian government, which shut him down and fined him $1,000.

Thankfully, Dr. Newnham continued his studies of Boron and arthritis, became a naturopathic physician and wrote two or three books on the value of Boron.  Boron also helps balance hormones and cures both intestinal and vaginal candida infections.  Thanks to Dr. Newnham, many people around the world have discovered that Boron can improve their health in multiple ways.  Pharmaceutical companies and most doctors tend to suppress such simple, inexpensive and non-patentable treatments.

If you raise your own vegetables, do as Betty does and use a boron-molybdenum spray or soil amendment.  Fertilizers speed up the depletion of Boron from the soil. 

If you don't garden, use El Matador Boron supplement to prevent or cure arthritis and osteoporosis.

Likewise, El Matador Colloidal silver and El Matador Ouch-Aid Colloidal Silver Gel can kill over 600 bacteria, viruses and fungi and can be used to treat cuts, scrapes, skin infections, colds, flu. pneumonia, gastroenteritis and other problems.  They work well for pets also.

If you would like an information package by email, send an email to usn11958@gmail.com with the subject "EL MATADOR."

Bob Gregory

6745-2828

Bold claims. Just wondering how boron helps prevent or cure osteoporosis? Specifically, what does it do to osteoclasts and osteoblasts?  Also with arthritis does it cure or prevent both rheumatoid and inflammatory arthritis?

Boron is a facilitator.  It creates conditions such that available calcium can be deposited in the bones via the osteoblasts.  Vitamin K2 is also important in the process.  It acts as a traffic cop to direct the calcium to the bones instead of depositing into the arteries.

Osteoclasts do not play a role in this process because they function to remove calcium from bones and introduce it into the bloodstream for use in other parts of the body.

Sufficient Boron in the body (whether from diet or supplementation) keeps the bones health, with enough calcium for them to be strong and also to function as a calcium supply for the body when it is needed.  The reason most people need supplementation of Boron is that it has been depleted from the soil by multiple crops and also because the use of common fertilizers (with nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium) chemically deplete any boron in the soil.

Boron is helpful with both rheumatoid arthritis (which is inflammatory) and osteoarthritis (mostly a result of wear and tear).  In the case of rheumatoid arthritis, research back in the mid 1970's revealed that often amoebic microbes are found in the joints and case the inflammation.  Boron kills the amoebas.  Rheumatoid arthritis is characterized as an autoimmune disease and may be to some extent.  Apparently it can have multiple causes. including the immune reaction being a reaction to the amoebas in the joints.  See THIS.

My research background is in osteoporosis and I’m sorry, but I’ve never heard of any of this.  At least nothing verifiable by non sponsor biased double blinded placebo controlled trials.  Similarly for arthritis.  Care needs to be taken when looking at claims from supplements that have not been tested in a clinical trial setting.

reply to John C

I am just telling you of my personal experience with hurting knees.   And my reasons for using micro nutrient foliar sprays.

However, I am a retired pharmaceutical sales rep.  I can tell you that double blind studies are often paid for by pharmaceutical companies.  And some of the most prestigious journals are paid to publish them.  Even double blind studies can be doubted too.

I do believe in science, but too often nowadays, science is contaminated by commercial interests and political affiliations.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39054778

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/business/14vioxxside.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3894865/

Take care when there are multi billions of dollars involved.  

I'm a professor and medicinal chemist and I’ve worked on successful osteoporosis drugs, one that some of you probably take.  Sponsor bias can be a problem but not as much as unverifiable claims for various supplements.  The supplements business is also a multi billion dollar one and many firms are owned by large corporations too.  The difference is that most drugs (and supplements) that pass clinical trials have proven activity in a statistically significant population and the inherent human error of opinion and heresay has been removed.  Rigorous scientific testing is also conspicuously absent from the evidence to support the claims made for many supplements.  I’m saying be careful with miracle claims for supplements that’s all.

John:

I never heard of any of this before either...until I heard of it.  That is the way with somewhat obscure facts.

Have you heard of colloidal silver?  Did you know that it was in wide general use by medical doctors up into the mid or late 1930's?  They used it because it worked.  But then along came sulfa drugs and penicillin which also worked but were patentable and much more profitable.  Colloidal Silver was pushed aside and would probably be prohibited by the FDA except for the fact that it qualifies as an "pre-1938" drug.

Dr. Newnham proposed to an Australian pharmaceutical company that they manufacture and sell boron supplements because he was selling 10,000 bottles per month to people who knew it worked.  But the company said that they could make more money with their patented arthritis drugs and reported him to Australian government authorities as selling "poison."  For the record, it is less poisonous than table salt, according to Material  Safety Data Sheets.  On the other hand, fluorides in toothpastes and drinking water are quite poisonous, but governments in the US are fine with that,  In most of Europe, however, flourides in drinking water are against the law.

Are you familiar with H2O2 therapy for cancer?  The medical industry pushes chemotherapy, which has a 97% failure rate but makes a lot of money, while ignoring H2O2 therapy, cesium chloride therapy, Ozone therapy, MMS therapy and other therapies with higher success rates.  You can read about any of these by doing a search on the internet.

I personally put a 78 year old medical doctor on H2O2 therapy here in Boquete a few years ago.  He had cancer of the tongue and throat, could not speak and expected to die in two months.  Within two weeks he regained the ability to speak, and a large tumor on his neck shrank to about 1/3 its former size.  A year later he was still alive and decided to move to Ecuador.  He was a bit skeptical at first, but began the therapy immediately because he had literally nothing to lose.

Many people find amazing numbers of medical uses for natural, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.  Most doctors would probably scoff at the idea, but one doctor published a book about it back in the 60's or 70's.  A lot of people learned about it, and now there are many, many books and articles about it.

If you do some careful research about the history of medical schools in the US, allopathic medicine, the Rockefellers, the pharmaceutical business and the FDA, you will learn a lot about the rigged and incestuous system and why there are quite a few "hidden cures" that are not widely known.

Not sure where to begin here. Fluoride occurs naturally in water all over the world without health issues.  H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide, a bleaching agent and disinfectant but taking it internally is a very bad idea especially if it’s at higher concentrations.  At higher concentrations it is used as rocket fuel.  Ozone is a poison in the laboratory and will degrade rubber.  I’ve actually suffered mild ozone poisoning myself.  Chemotherapy does not have a 97% failure rate and the newer treatments can be highly successful depending on when the cancer is identified and what type it is.  There are many many different types of cancer.  Some new treatments have shown >50% remission (complete cure) in some cases of very virulent cancers.  Immunotherapy is showing incredible promise.

The internet is a wonderful place where nearly any claim can be supported regardless of evidence.  My issue is when it comes to health is often the unsupported miracle claims of modern day snake oil can actually do harm when a person could have taken a scientifically proven effective therapy instead.  

No one is hiding miracle cures from people because they wouldn’t make money. That’s just idiocy.  An academic would make his name identifying a therapy with a proven record against any disease regardless of whether or not that therapy is patentable or would make a fortune.  Such discoverers have been previous nobel prize winners.  There are researchers at my own institution looking at garlic extracts, I've looked at glucosamine, many others are looking at natural products.  If you don’t see positive results in journals or the press there are two reasons and two reasons alone. Either the idea doesn’t work or the tests have not been done yet.  The idea of suppression of information in this area is a conspiracy theory on the level of the faked moon landings.

Lastly, not all supplements/natural products are bad or ineffective (sadly many are though).  Many pharmaceuticals started life as traditional medicine.  Approximately 60% of prescribed medicines started this way.  Aspirin started this way (willow bark extract). Many over the counter supplements and natural products have scientific evidence to back up their claims.  Just be very careful in what you select as your evidence for supporting the claims of the product.

Regards,

John

I usually prefer to just write from what I know and not take the time to include a lot of quotes of references, but sometimes it is useful.

Quote 1:

The reason a 5-year relative survival rate is the standard used to assess mortality rates is due to most cancer patients going downhill after this period. It's exceptionally bad for business and the cancer industry knows it. They could never show the public the true 97% statistical failure rate in treating long-term metastatic cancers. If they did publish the long-term statistics for all cancers administered cytotoxic chemotherapy, that is 10+ years and produced the objective data on rigorous evaluations including the cost-effectiveness, impact on the immune system, quality of life, morbidity and mortality, it would be very clear to the world that chemotherapy makes little to no contribution to cancer survival at all. No such study has ever been conducted by independent investigators in the history of chemotherapy. The only studies available come from industry funded institutions and scientists and none of them have ever inclusively quantified the above variables.

Quote 2:

Validity of Oxygen-Ozone Therapy as Integrated Medication Form in Chronic Inflammatory Diseases

Author(s): Velio Bocci, Iacopo Zanardia, Giuseppe Valacchi, Emma Borrelli, Valter Travagli.

Journal Name: Cardiovascular & Hematological Disorders-Drug Targets

Volume 15 , Issue 2 , 2015

DOI : 10.2174/1871529X1502151209114642

Abstract:

The state-of-the-art of oxygen-ozone therapy is now clarified and all the mechanisms of action of medical ozone are within classical biochemistry and molecular biology. The outcomes of standard treatments in peripheral arterial occlusive disease (PAOD) and dry-form of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) have been compared with the documented therapeutic results achieved with ozonated autohemotherapy (O-AHT). On the other hand, the clinical data of O-AHT on stroke remain indicative. As the cost of O-AHT is almost irrelevant, its application in all public hospitals, especially those of poor Countries, would allow two advantages: the first is for the patient, who will improve her/his conditions, and the second is for Health Authorities burdened with increasing costs. The aim of this paper is to report to clinical scientists that O-AHT is a scientific-based therapeutic approach without side effects. The integration of O-AHT with effective approved drugs is likely to yield the best clinical results in several chronic inflammatory diseases.

Quote 3:

According to the handbook, Clinical Toxicology of Commercial Products, fluoride is more poisonous than lead and just slightly less poisonous than arsenic. It is a cumulative poison that accumulates in bone over the years. According to the Physicians Desk Reference, "in hypersensitive individuals, fluorides occasionally cause skin eruptions such as atopic dermatitis, eczema, or urticaria. Gastric distress, headache, and weakness have also been reported. These hypersensitive reactions usually disappear promptly after discontinuation of the fluoride."

From 1990 to 1992, the Journal of the American Medical Association published three separate articles linking increased hip fracture rates to fluoride in the water. In the March 22, 1990 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine, Mayo Clinic researchers reported that fluoride treatment of osteoporosis increased hip fracture rate and bone fragility.

A study by Procter and Gamble showed that as little as half the amount of fluoride used to fluoridate public water supplies resulted in a sizable and significant increase in genetic damage. Epidemiology research in the mid-1970's by the late Dr. Dean Burk, head of the cytochemistry division of the National Cancer Institute, indicated that 10,000 or more fluoridation-linked cancer deaths occur yearly in the United States. In 1989, the ability of fluoride to transform normal cells into cancer cells was confirmed by Argonne National Laboratories. Results released in 1989 of studies carried out at the prestigious Batelle Research Institute showed that fluoride was linked to a rare form of liver cancer in mice, oral tumors and cancers in rats, and bone cancer in male rats. Since 1991, the New Jersey Department of Health found that the incidence of osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer, was far higher in young men exposed to fluoridated water as compared to those who were not.

Quote 4:

Photo I just took from my toothpaste tube.

Quote 5:

A 1936 issue of the Journal of the American Dental Association stated that fluoride at the 1 ppm (part per million) concentration is as toxic as arsenic and lead.
The Journal of the American Medical Association stated in their September 18, 1943 issue, that fluorides are general protoplasmic poisons that change the permeability of the cell membrane by certain enzymes.4 And, an editorial published in the Journal of the American Dental Association, October 1, 1944, stated, "Drinking water containing as little as 1.2 ppm fluoride will cause developmental disturbances. We cannot run the risk of producing such serious systemic disturbances. The potentialities for harm outweigh those for good."

Quote 6:

"At the end of the Second World War, the United States Government sent Charles Elliot Perkins, a research worker in chemistry, biochemistry, physiology and pathology, to take charge of the vast Farben chemical plants in Germany. While there, he was told by German chemists of a scheme which had been worked out by them during the war and adopted by the German General Staff.

"This scheme was to control the population in any given area through mass medication of drinking water. In this scheme, sodium fluoride occupied a prominent place.

"Repeated doses of infinitesimal amounts of fluoride will in time reduce an individual's power to resist domination by slowly poisoning and narcotising a certain area of the brain, and will thus make him submissive to the will of those who wish to govern him.

"Both the Germans and the Russians added fluoride to the drinking water of prisoners of war to make them stupid and docile."

Quote 7:

Click this link if it is active; otherwise copy and paste it.

http://isco3.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Ozone-Therapy-and-Its-S...

Quote 8:

From Doctor David G. Williams.

When exposed to other compounds hydrogen peroxide dismutates readily. The extra oxygen atom is released leaving H20 (water). In nature oxygen (02) consists of two atoms--a very stable combination. A single atom of oxygen, however, is very reactive and is referred to as a free radical. Over the past several years, we've continually read that these free radicals are responsible for all types of ailments and even premature aging. What many writers seem to forget, however, is that our bodies create and use free radicals to destroy harmful bacteria, viruses, and fungi. In fact, the cells responsible for fighting infection and foreign invaders in the body (your white blood cells) make hydrogen peroxide and use it to oxidize any offending culprits. The intense bubbling you see when hydrogen peroxide comes in contact with a bacteria-laden cut or wound is the oxygen being released and bacteria being destroyed. The ability of our cells to produce hydrogen peroxide is essential for life. H202 is not some undesirable by-product or toxin, but instead a basic requirement for good health.

Newer research indicates we need hydrogen peroxide for a multitude of other chemical reactions that take place throughout the body. For example, we now know that vitamin C helps fight infections by producing hydrogen peroxide, which in turn stimulates the production of prostaglandins. Also lactobacillus found in the colon and vagina produce hydrogen peroxide. This destroys harmful bacteria and viruses, preventing colon disease, vaginitis, bladder infections and a host of other common ailments. (Infect Dis News Aug.8, 91:5). When lactobacillus in the colon or vaginal tract have been overrun with harmful viruses, yeast, or bacteria, an effective douche or enema solution can be made using 3 tablespoons of 3% H202 in 1 quart of distilled water. Keep in mind, however, that a good bacterial flora must always be re-established in theses areas to achieve lasting results.

Aerobic versus Anerobic
While we are discussing enemas and douches, there is another misconception about H202 I need to address. The friendly bacteria in the colon and vagina are aerobic. In other words, they flourish in high oxygen environments and thrive in the presence of oxygen rich H202. On the other hand, most strains of harmful bacteria (and cancer cells) are anaerobic and cannot survive in the presence of oxygen or H202. We can agree that hydrogen peroxide produced within individual body cells is essential for life. And no one doubts its effectiveness when it comes to treating infections topically. The controversy deals with ingesting the substance orally or introducing it into the body intravenously. The dispute has been going on for decades, and considering the attitude of our medical community, it will continue for many more decades to come.

I'll admit I was skeptical when I first learned about using H202 orally or intravenously. This healthy dose of skepticism, however, lead to a great deal of investigation, clinical work and experimentation. And while I realize a large majority of readers will probably never be convinced that H202 is a safe and effective compound, I am. Hydrogen peroxide is safe, readily available and dirt cheap. And best of all, it works! No one yet fully understands the complete workings of hydrogen peroxide. We do know that it is loaded with oxygen. (A pint of the food-grade 35% solution contains the equivalent of 130 pints of oxygen. A pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide found at the local drugstore contains 10 pints of oxygen. And a pint of the 6% solution used to bleach hair contains 20 pints of oxygen.) We also know that when H202 is taken into the body (orally or intravenously) the oxygen content of the blood and body tissues increases dramatically. Early researchers felt these increases were simply due to the extra oxygen molecule being released. This doesn't however, appear to be the case.

Only very diluted amounts of H202 are ever introduced into the body. The small amount of oxygen present couldn't be solely responsible for the dramatic changes that take place. Dr. Charles Farr, a strong proponent of intravenous use, has discovered another possible answer. Dr. Farr has shown that hydrogen peroxide stimulates enzyme systems throughout the body. This triggers an increase in the metabolic rate, causes small arteries to dilate and increase blood flow, enhances the body's distribution and consumption of oxygen and raises body temperature (Proceedings of the International Conference on Bio-Oxidative Medicine 1989, 1990, 1991).

Quackwatch is a great site to read.  I suggest you plug in some of your search parameters there.  Nearly all of them are present with the appropriate peer reviewed journal references.

Here's one https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/oxygen.html

Regards

'

'Sorry, I inserted the photo in Quote 4:, but something went wrong.  The screen showed "saving..." but never finished apparently.

Anyway, here is the photo that should have appeared as

Quote 4:

RSS

For the residents and visitors of Boquete Panama

© 2018   Created by JLM Foundation.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

}, 'google_translate_element'); }