location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

Moving in, moving out

Any idea of the turnover of residents in Boquete?  I know many people have different reasons for why it turns out to not be for them. I'm curious, because I read a little of this, and a little of that, so I want to know. Do you think, other than the obvious things like family tug, or health reasons, some folks just didn't think it through enough. I can't imagine money is a reason to leave, when it seems money saved would be a reason to move there in the first place. So you folks with your ears to the ground have to know what else makes them leave. My wife and I have done so much research on the Boquete area, I can't imagine someone living in Boquete would want to up and leave Panama, and start that process all over in another country. But......maybe it's just Boquete they're leaving, not Panama. Thoughts?

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bob,  another thought about your decision, how mountainous is it around San An?  Here you will be traversing sort of paved mountain roads which may seem doable in dry daylight, but having to drive into town for an emergency at night in the rain may be real test of your fortitude.  Getting a rental in town will give you a chance to "microscope" the surrounding areas for more permanent accommodations  if you want to make your stay long term.  People here can advise you to the "ins and outs" of living in their specific areas.  Remember, mañana doesn't necessarily mean tomorrow, it just means "not today".  So with that, I bid you "Bienvenido a Panamá!"

• This reply was deleted.
    • Either learn to be happy with electricity that will be out on regular basis for a couple of minutes to a couple of hours, or not the place for you.

Actually, is does vary quite a bit over time. Last year (our first), I went ahead and got an inexpensive generator. But then power was stable for quite a while so I wondered. But then we came back from Panama City (getting residency, one of several trips) at night and power was out. It was much easier to fire up the generator, then trying to get things done in the dark.

I wish I had bought an automatic system, but far too expensive. For the cost of the generator and a few cords was about $500. Now in a larger house, I figured out and set up a system with instructions where I just flip off a few breakers, turn on some switches connecting the generator circuit to most of the house, and we are functional. I didn't go whole house, just the parts we use (kitchen, living room and my office). The fun part is guessing how long will the power be out. Anywhere from 2 minutes to 4 hours (a couple time longer, but that is the average). Most of the time it is less than 10 minutes. Until here lately, the internet stayed on, I don't know what changed. But I have movies and old tv shows on digital recordings and I always have books I am reading.

So, you keep around you small LED flashlights and area lamps (like the battery ones they sell that you stick in a closet).

To be honest, extended water outages have bothered me more than the electricity. Yes, we lose water pressure occasionally, but last year it was more of a problem. Boquete has been redoing their water system, so that may have been part of it. But because of the upgrading the system, the roads are far worse into and around town than they were when we arrived. But you learn to keep those 5 gallon jugs with a dispenser (we got a table top hot/cold one from a charity sale and it has been great) and I refill Vinegar gallon jugs and such with water for flushing toilets. Oh yes, best investment was a clean water system we bought used when we first got here (people returning to the states). I keep a 5 gallon jug with a backup with a cheap dispenser (used the pump type at first). I use that water to extend the paid for water and for cooking and coffee. Actually, with a rough filter, a carbon filter and a UV lite for sterilization, I haven't noticed any taste issues.

Ok, maybe I am going a little long with this. My wife and I are not retired. We came to serve a church and have just stayed, even though the church isn't any more (Pastors went back to the US for long term health reasons, they hope to come back). We are learning how to make an income online, but are having to work out long distance money.

Here it is: At times, "why am I here", but then I will get up one morning and just say in my heart, I am so glad to be here. Some day we might move on. We would like to spend time in the Asia, S America, Africa, and Europe. But, that will be another day. Oh did I mention that in our 60's we rode motorcycles (each on our own) down from New Mexico. But that is another story.

• Read a few of these...they are very interesting

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=ohiou1245254852&disposition=inline
    • Here are some questions to ask yourself that might give you a gauge on if you will like being an Expat:

1.  Are you a "go with the flow" type of personality?  Or are you a "my way or it's wrong" type of personality?

2.  Are you willing to experiment with just about everything?  For instance some foods that are common in the US are not found here.  You will need to try different brands or even different foods all together.  Depending on where you live here, you might not be able to get cable or satellite TV, so you may have to experiment with Internet TV; things like that.  Don't be afraid to try new things!

3.  Do you have respect for different cultures and can you acknowledge that things are done differently in places than what we do in the United States?  Part of what I love about Latin America is their laid back approach to life.  But at times that is a double edge sword.  When you schedule work to be done and the worker is late or shows up a day later, you have to accept that.  The main thing to remember is that is their way, it is not yours.  We now live in THEIR country, not the other way around.  Adapting more like a willow tree that bends will make things a lot easier that being a mighty oak!

Final note:  Look at the glass half full.  Look at the beauty of things and people instead of the negatives.  Don't try to "fix" things.  Go with the flow!  If a Panamanian knows that you respect their country and are trying your best to adjust to living in their country, 99% of them will bend over backward to help you.  Now that my husband and I are used to being around the Panamanian people and their big hearts and joy, I can't imaging moving back to the US.  I would be sad!

•   Good thoughts Elaine, did you ever get the walls in your place fixed. lol  Patience is a virtue. Hope to see you guys again soon.  

• Bryan, funny!!  Yes, we got everything fixed!  And, we got a small grill for the balcony, so we are loving everything!  Hurry up and move down here and we will party!

• Great idea to start with Spanish classes in San Antonio. I recommend individual classes. The common Panamanian speak fast and with a dialect, like you go to a small town in Texas trying to understand their English.

• I met very few  retired expats, who speak, read and write proper Spanish. Consequently your group of social contacts is limited. I lived and worked in various countries for 30 years. 

• Very helpful information. Thank you to both Howard and Robert. My wife and I are both enrolling in Spanish classes this fall in San Antonio, where we reside. We both agree, it makes life much easier if you can speak the language, as I’m sure you’re less apt to get frustrated when you can’t understand why things are why they are. 

• Hi, Bob:  regarding your Spanish classes this fall in San Antonio, that is an excellent beginning.  However don't be surprised if, when you arrive, you also need to pick up on the local idioms.  Boqueteño Spanish has some substitutions which are easy enough to pick up on by learning to simply ask,"Cómo se dice _____?" and "Puede hablar más despacio para mi?"  My Spanish has gotten more fluent and I understand more quickly over time simply by practicing with everyone I can every day. People here are very kind to help you understand if you show sincere interest.  I have also downloaded the Google Translate app to my phone and learn new words all the time, plus it comes in handy on the go!!  Good luck and enjoy!  

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…