location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

Replies

• neu·tral·i·ty
    [n(y)o͞oˈtralədē]
    NOUN
    1. the state of not supporting or helping either side in a conflict, disagreement, etc.; impartiality:
      "during the war, Switzerland maintained its neutrality"
    2. absence of decided views, expression, or strong feeling:
      "the clinical neutrality of the description"
    3. the condition of being chemically or electrically neutral.
  • You may want to believe your "documentary" published by special interest groups and lobbyists or dig a little bit deeper:

http://history-switzerland.geschichte-schweiz.ch/switzerland-second...

http://www.historyisnowmagazine.com/blog/2016/2/14/was-switzerland-...

Switzerland's Role in World War II
    Switzerland and Nazism - economic dependence - refugees - looted assets, gold transactions, dormant accounts - neutrality - why did Hitler not attack…
  • Simple - if  the issue isn't important for you, you stay home and accept the result. If the issue is important to you, you go and vote and then accept the will of the (voting) majority. It works very well. Why mandatory voting in light of that? And in this day and age, voting can be done electronically, so "cumbersome" is a thing of the past in that regard.

We had a (for a short while) another reality TV "star" (Kevin O'Leary of "Shark Tank") who thought  he could emulate Trump's foray into politics.

He even promised to introduce direct Democracy to Canada! Believe it or not, I would have voted for him (Canadian political parties are not as fundamentally different from each other, so crossing party lines is not a change of lifestyle like in the U.S.). But he disappeared from the political scene as quickly as he appeared.

Your insinuation that Switzerland "partnered" with the Nazis is ridiculous and totally lacking any basis. I always have to laugh when I hear misconceptions like that...

Switzerland is a neutral country since a long time (the Helvetian Federation was founded in 1291) and everybody used (and still uses) Swiss banks to safeguard their money.

• Lol - humorous indeed...:-)

But the writer forgot the most important positive point for living in Switzerland: Direct Democracy, not Democracy by representation like in Canada, the U.S. and pretty much everywhere else where there is a so-called "Democracy".

The Swiss Federal council (seven guys or gals of which one is elected among them to be the honorary President for a year) cannot make decisions like the President or Prime Minister in other countries. They will propose something and  then the issue is voted on by the citizens. This means a lot of trips to the voting booth every year (usually combined with a visit to the pub to discuss "politics"...), but at least you don't get screwed over by some character promising you "greatness" while running the country more into the ground every day.

Voter participation is usually quite low, but if the people decide on something, you will accept it (even if you don't like it) because the majority of your fellow citizens voted for it...

• Trump  won because of the "independents". Among them, there are many voters who went for Trump either because he was a TV "star" (like others before him - being "famous" helps) or they thought that he is a good businessman and therefore can run a country.

Many of these voters have in the meantime discovered that they were duped in more ways than one - just look at his "approval" rating - it's heading for a world record low...maybe even single digits not too long from now...:-)

• Thank LBJ.

• I wouldn't say they are exactly flocking.

Over the past ten years more then 30mm have reached retirement age, and total number of gringos living offshore is merely 380k?

Personally, I have been offshore since the 80s...and certainly no regrets. 

• A common trait of expats is making life decisions based upon hypothetical what-ifs rather than current realities. I'm not anxiously awaiting the zombie apocalypse or dollar collapse or one of those NK or Iran nukes taking out a key U.S. city or for the U.S. infrastructure to crumble, etc. etc. Instead I assess the current situation and make the best of it. Life in the U.S. is great and cheap if you are wise with your spending and make smart decisions.

• It is astonishing how many people govern their lives by hype and fear, both of it mostly unfounded.

More folks drink, smoke or drive themselves to death than all of the other "unnatural deaths" combined. Yet almost nobody even remotely thinks about stopping their "killer" habit.

Doesn't make sense to me...

While half the world's population's number one priority is finding food for the day, a great number of the affluent folks are living with man-made worries and fears which border on paranoia.

Everybody will die some day - so why waste your "living days" worrying about it?

• Anyone with a bit of foresight, planning and hard work does not have to retire on $1500/month in Canada or in the U.S.

If anyone considers the $1500/month Government pension (which is kind of a welfare payment anyway) sufficient to retire "comfortably" in Canada or the U.S. they should have their head examined.

I got divorced at age 40, my ex walked away with the much bigger "half" of all assets (except the kids which stayed with me but no alimony from my ex, ever!), yet I managed to build a very nice nest egg and was able to retire very comfortably at age 63. How? Planning and hard work, that's how!

In our (N/American and European) society, comfortable retirement is very possible if you plan ahead - even if there are some roadblocks or setback on the way there.

Sorry for this rant, but if people from the wealthiest countries on earth have to migrate to a developing country in order to live "comfortably" in their golden years, it doesn't bode very well for their sense of fiscal responsibility.

Rant over...:-)

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…