location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

Question About Global Banking

Is there a bank in David that has Global Banking with the USA?  I am trying to find a Panamanian bank that I can do a direct deposit to from my state retirement check.

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The last response that said that Panama banks do not have FDIC got the gray matter working a bit.  My first thought was ...Well, HSBC is a large world wide bank so my deposits must be safe.  Well, it was just sold to the Colombian bank.  Okay, what other international banks are ?... Citibank, credit suiss, Wells Fargo?  NO.  It strikes me as very strange that I can not name a large international retail bank here in Panama', the supposed financial capitol of Central and South America.  Banking wise, what is different here?  Are the only other choices Banco General, Banco National, and their ilk?

• Alan, if you check this link you can get complete information about any Bank in Panama, rights, regulations, etc.. http://www.superbancos.gob.pa/

You are being redirected...
    • Alan, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation(FDIC) is only good in the U.S.A.  They were created by legislation after the Great Depression to cover a chartered bank's liquidity problems if they started to "go over the edge" by guaranteeing depositor's funds up to a certain amount to quell a "run on the bank".  Any bank, even a biggie from the U.S.(Citi, JPMChase, WF) chartered in Panama, or any where else for that matter, does not have that requirement.  Panama does have liquidity minimums to meet based on the deposits which are sizable in some of these banks(personal accounts with one or two digits and 7 or 8 zeros left of the decimal point).  If you are looking for stability try one of the Canadian banks in town, they didn't go in for those squirrely type of mortgage loans like Wall Street bought up, so none had to be bailed out.   Hope this helps.

• Well.  Panama left to be the financial capital of Central America long ago.  That means that the international pressure to the banking center in Panama succeded.  Now the local banks and a few from South America and Central America are still surviving.  

• I have my IRA administrator wire funds quarterly to my bank account here to save on wire fees, but you seem to have an interesting tactic I'm going to explore further, thanks.

• The Panama banking system does not have FDIC. Be careful where you put your money, if you value it. I would be more amenable to paying a small transfer feee rather than the chance of losing all of my eggs.

• Yes JC is right on this one, and this is the cheapest way as most money transfers are spendy

• We just opened an account at Global Bank this AM with Carmen.  She asked if we would like our SS checks automatically deposited there.  We were not interested by it must be possible since she asked.

• I am getting ready to move to Panama in August or September and this is a question I have also been researching. The only solution I have at this time is to use my brokerage account (happens to be Schwab) with a bank account attached. I can deposit my social security and state retrirement checks directly into their checking account and then draw on it in Panama through either a VISA debit card (no fee), write a check (probably most useful for U.S. expenses), or transfer money to a local bank from the Schwab account as needed. There are no ATM fees or foreign exchange fees with this service. If anyone has a different solution, I would also like to know about it. Thank you, all.

Larry Powers

• Fidelity has a money market account that does the same thing and love it!

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…