location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

The $517 Residency Visa

Olga is a great source for everything Panama, and especially with all things related to getting residency visas.  There have been many posts lately regarding residency visas and I thought they were a little hard to follow.  So I tried to make sense of them, and went to Migracion in David, and tried to put all of the information in one place, for my own understanding.  I just decided I would post it, in case anyone else out there is confused.  I am not a lawyer.

This is my understanding of what is going on right now - which is about the same as what became law June 3, 2016.

The article that Olga posted last week is here again:

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/Establecen-requisitos-extranjeros-regularizacion-migratoria_0_4718528112.html

The new Decreto 145, March 24, 2017 referenced in above article is here:

https://www.gacetaoficial.gob.pa/pdfTemp/28243_B/60451.pdf

It does 2 things:

1.  Officially ends the Crisol de Razas by overturning Decreto 547, July 25, 2012:

MMINISTERIO DE SEGURIDAD PÚBLICA
Decreto Ejecutivo Nº 547
(De miércoles 25 de julio de 2012)
QUE SE ESTABLECE EL PROCEDIMIENTO Y LOS REQUISITOS DE LOS PROCESOS DE REGULARIZACIÓN MIGRATORIA EXTRAORDINARIA DENOMINADO "PANAMÁ, CRISOL DE
RAZAS".

2.  Changes the language (ever so slightly) of the 4 points of Article 2 of Decreto 167 from June 3, 2016, below:

http://www.migracion.gob.pa/images/PAGINA%20WEB%20EFRAIN/2016/DECRETOS/Decreto%20167%203%20junio%202016.pdf

Article 3 of Decreto 167 (above) lists the 7 actual requirements necessary to get the "$517 Visa" - which have not changed recently - they were established in this Decreto 167, June 3, 2016.

If one gets this Visa it is a 2 year Visa.  I don't see anything and wouldn't even try to guess what might be required to extend the visa after 2 years.

Finally, for those with Crisol de Razas, Decreto 169, May 22, 2015, lists 9 requirements for extending those  visas. The extension also costs $517, but is good for "from 2 to 10 years" (and doesn't say how the number of years will be determined).  It is here:

http://migracion.gob.pa/images/Noticias/Archivos%20PDF/Archivos%20en%20pdf/Decretos%202015/Decreto%20Ejecutivo%20N%20169%20del%2022%20de%20mayo%20de%202015.pdf

While both of these visas say $517.00, that price is for citizens of certain countries.  The cost is $1,022.00 for citizens of other countries, and $2,102.00 for citizens of some other countries.  I asked at Migracion in David last week and they said it is $517.00 for USA, I don't know about any others.If anyone has any different information, please post it, correct me, I want to know as much as possible.

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All I can tell anyone is I have met a Venezuelan with a temporary card who has applied for this visa. The card doesn't have his photo on it. So it seems that it is possible to get a card that enables you to stay in Panama until your appointment.

• Yes that is an ID you apply for at the immigration officr. This must be done in person at the city, those interested should really be making arrangements to be there asap to start their process
  • You're right about being disqualified if you leave for 30 days.  No one seems to be able to answer this question.  Not even Olga.  First she says you have to be here for 2 years and then she say 1 year.  Now she is saying that if you are in your 5th month then cross the border to 30 days and then come back to start the process.  Before she also said to stay out for more than 30 days to make sure they will let you return.  I don't think that she knows what she is talking about.

• If anyone know, I bet Rainelda Mata-Kelly, a lawyer from Panama knows. I haven't used her, but a lot of people with IL do. I think her office is next to the building for the Immigration people, and she certainly has contacts there.

Her email is rmk@mata-kelly.com

Just a thought...

• I said the requirements are 2 yrs tonuse the Panama police report, one year to apply for the new law but if you are coming up due and you have done nothing, you either run and go to PC with all requirements, or you have to leave before it becomes a problem. It is easy apply online, print your appointments and do it either way as border hopping is a done deal
  • This still doesn't answer the question about if a person can stay here while waiting for this process.  I only have 1 month until I have to cross the border.  Then the 30 days will void my eligibility.  They are so daft if they don't realize that this is happening.

• If you are on your 5th month, you are better off leaving for minimum 30 days and then come back, you can start the process but you will have no time to get it altogether before you due.

Remember, if you are very close to your 180 days, you will be denied for longer than 30 days

• How can one start the process if they have been out for more than 30 days.  You have to have been here without having been out for more than 30 days. 

• I requested an appointment in September 2016 and none were available.

In October, I got one for May, online.

As far as what to do in the meantime, that is a great question.  With all of the talk about 6 months (or 5 months) in, and 30 days (or 35 days, or 180 days) out, I do not know.  I came in February within 90 days of my appointment, just to be safe.

• Did they give you any idea of how long it would be until the appt date? And what we do in the meantime?

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…