location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

What To Bring & What To Ship?

Just wondering what you all decided to "bring" with you when you moved there and what you left behind? What's important & what's not? I'm guessing shipping is pretty expensive and one should only ship if it's really critical. Can any of you share what shipping to Panama cost you for various things including any duty? I'm saddened at leaving behind some of our favorite paintings, etc., but imagine shipping those is too expensive and who knows, maybe they'd get lost. As I look around at just our medicine cabinet type stuff from ointments to antacids, you know how over the years you collect a lot of that? That could actually be pretty expensive to have to replace all that down there, but then shipping is expensive I'm sure. I've also heard that some airlines will let you bring extra baggage for a cost if there is room, which also might be where a lot of extras could go. Would appreciate any sage advice from you all. Thanks so much!

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• My suggestion (been here 13 years):  Bring all your major appliances with plenty of years of use left.  Major appliances made with specs for Latin America are terrible.  I'm on my third dishwasher, and quit using it because it sucks.  I'm on my second water heater and it's broken already (two years).  Local washers and dryers and refrigerators are nothing like American ones.  They break and don't do a good job anyway.  Ceiling fans ditto.

• That's too bad Summer. Not real great news!

• I'm not sure, but I don't think appliances are "made with specs for Latin America." When I consider buying an American-brand appliance here, I do Internet research on its track record, longevity and reliability. What I all too often find is that it has terrible reviews in the States, in Consumer Reports, for example. My guess is that poor reviews resulted in poor sales back in the States, so the model was shipped off to Latin America. It amounts to the same thing, though: generally poor quality.

• I think you nailed it Bonnie.  I always thought manufacturers had 3 bins at the end of their quality control inspection lines:  Accept, Reject, Reject and send to Latin America. 

• The main thing is, keep it simple. The more exotic a thing is, the more there is to go wrong, and 1. you will be sending away for spare parts, and 2. you will not be able to find anyone who can fix it. Just a general observation.

• Totally. I agree Maureen. Keep it simple. Thank you.

• Individual answer.  I looked at the price & quality of furniture available here, and we decided it was more cost effective to ship a 20 foot container here.  It would have cost more to replace what we had with the same quality.  We had three yard sales.  Other people come with suitcases, planning on renting furnished.  Your decision.  

Basic tools you can find here.  If you do a lot of carpentry, or some other work, some are not here or hard to find.  Amazon becomes you best friend.  

Have you been here to ask questions?  Before moving, it is the common advice to come here for at least 6 months and discover what it is like to live here before selling everything back home.  This is paradise in many ways, but it is NOT the US, nor are services like the US.  

Grocery shopping is like the 1950s in a way, here.  You can drive to David & shop weekly there, or learn the places in Boquete thst has everything you need...eggs one place, meat another, etc.  

please, really consider only renting here for 6 months before you move.  

• Thank you Charlotte for all your insights. It's good to hear that one can find most grocery store items there (even if you have to drive around a bit), then having to go down to David. Just out of curiosity what can't you find there that requires a trip to David? Ex; furniture, ???

• Items that are unique may be difficult to come by here. You will want to take everything with you at first but you would be surprised at how well you can get along without and how much is actually available here now compared to the past.

We sold much of our possessions in an estate sale and what didnt move went in subsequent yard sales. We then moved in suitcases and bought all of our furniture here and saved huge on cargo. In the end the cost of extra luggage is a bargain if you really think about it and youll end up with new items.

When you get here, if you see something you like, buy it and dont deliberate as stores often carry only the piece on display.

• That makes sense Clint. You mentioned to moved in suitcases. Do you mean you brought extra luggage on the plane? I've read that if there's room, some airlines will let you bring extra luggage, but it could cost $100/suitcase. Thanks for your help.

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…