location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

book club Anyone?

are there any book club meetings in Boquete?  If not, would anyone like to start one?  I'm sure we could meet at the library if we asked. 

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Bookmark in Dolega has the largest selection of English language books in Panama. Say hello to Michael.

• Thanks for that information. I think I've seen the place, with a For Sale sign on it, but I didn't know it was still in business.

• I would be interested. I live in David but it's really not all that far. I am also interested in finding a source of books written in English. There is a limited selection at the City Mall here in David, but the cost is quite high.

I did purchase a couple of books through Amazon and had them shipped here... OMG that is not the way to go. I think I paid close to $100 in shipping for $30 worth of books.

I know I should have purchased some sort of electronic reader thing before I left the US, but I don't like reading from a screen and the only one I ever tried was annoying to use and painful to my eyes. There are probably better products... I would appreciate a recommendation if anyone knows about these things.

• The Fundacion Pro Integracion (Handicap Center) in Boquete sells books every Tuesday at the BCP Market. From time to time the Boquete Library also has book sales. There is an excellent selection.

There is no import tax on books, so I find it hard to understand why you paid such exorbitant shipping fees. If you are a member of Amazon Prime, shipping within the U.S., to the office of your mail forwarder, is free; so you pay only for the shipping to Panama. This is certainly not negligible, but it's not exorbitant.

I have found the best electronic reader to be the iPad, which also, of course, has many other functions. The font, size of type, and lighting is fully adjustible. It is available at the MStore at Plaza Terronal in David. IPads are pricey, but not shipping books would pay for one in a short time.

• I'm not sure why I paid so much to ship that package. I may not have done it correctly. I had the books shipped by Amazon to a friend in the US who then sent them to a mail forwarder. There were some small items as well as a large pile of used books, and perhaps this triggered a customs duty; I don't know. It was the first time I tried this and I had no idea what I was doing.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and I guess I'll check into the iPad. I have an iPhone already, although I don't much like it, and I'm not happy with the company's blatantly predatory activities lately, I suppose it would be good to have a compatible device.

I just hate to give up real books... I will miss the weight of them, the smell, the feel of the pages...

• I know the feeling of not wanting to give up the physical books. When I moved to Panama 12 years ago, I shipped in my household container boxes and boxes of books. But that was pre-Kindle. Because of shipping costs, I bought a Kindle, then an iPad sometime after I got here. There are two principal things that make me very glad I made the switch--apart from saving shipping costs. First, my old eyes now really need the adjustable font size and lighting of the electronic reader. Secondly, I am now planning a move, and packing up all my books to donate has been a major headache. Books are heavy and therefore require many, many boxes for a collection my size. I've been seeking out boxes and boxing up books for days.

Make the switch. You'll be glad you did (once you get beyond the cost and the learning curve).

• There is a book club meeting tonight at Kathleen Frederick's in Boquete Country Club tonight at 5.00pm. YOu can contact her on Facebook.

• Hello, I own The CLubhouse at the BCP and would be more than happy to offfer our space for a book club.  Please free the contact me at theclubhouseboquete@gmail.com.

• There are two book clubs here that I know of, and there may be more. The two I'm familiar with reach out to new members when they have a vacancy based on what the potential member reads. Perhaps if you publish that information here, one of the clubs will have a vacancy and recognize you as a similar reading soul and invite you to join. Of course, you may wish to start your own.

• Thanks Bonnie

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…