location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

John Freely, U.S. Ambassador to Panama resigns

Just posted in the Daily Beast: John Feeley, the US Ambassador to Panama has resigned “on principle,” noting that he cannot serve under the current administration any longer. Feeley’s resignation came before Trump referred to several poor countries as “shitholes,”  That probably sealed the deal though.

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• He was NOT given a pink slip. This has nothing to do with Obama.

• I see jim y nena deleted his comment.

• Being a career ambassador simply means you came up through the ranks of the State Department rather than being picked by the President from outside the Department. Both appointments are considered political. One simply has diplomatic experience, and one does not.

• Lighten up a bit, will you?

...Or is your sense of humour that small  ?

• he will be missed, at least by me...when we spoke at a town hall here in Boquete he was knowledgeable, competent, and listened to my concerns about visa changes last year...and its no accident US citizens have a waiver from the passport restrictions of most other countries...not to mention he is just a nice guy and was a refreshing change from typical political appointees. http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/12/politics/us-ambassador-panama-res...

• This reply was deleted.
      • Karen...don't know if you were in Boquete a year ago when the embassy had the town hall at the library...at the time Panama had just changed visa regulations for all foreigners...if you research that directive it is the regulations that are in force for Colombians and Venezuelans at this time, with 90 day limits, no re-entry for 30 days, among other restrictions...at that meeting myself and others voiced our concerns about having entered with return tickets based on the 180 day visa, and with the enforcement at Paso Canoas several people who were in the process of passport renewal were stuck in Costa Rica unable to re-enter for 30 days instead of the 72 hours which had been standard, as well as residency applicants who had to leave for visa renewal in the middle of their application period (30 days out would nullify the residency requirement)...the ambassador said he was going to make it a priority to personally appeal to the director of immigration regarding US citizens...in a matter of days a waiver for US and Canadians was in effect...i have no doubt it was his direct intervention  

• And was he successful? I understand that the same restrictions are still in place.l\

• Amanda i can only speak for myself but the last 2 times i left the country i received 180 day visas at Tocuman. I know that most foreigners get 90 days, (or less for Colombians and Venezuelans) so i can surmise he was successful.

• Note that the following Embassy notice of 180-day stays for U.S. (and UK, and Canadian, and Australian) citizens is dated January 17, 2107. Ambassador Feeley's visit to Boquete was on March 14, 2107. That's not to say that he had nothing to do with it, but it clearly wasn't the result of talking to anyone here in March.

Based on multiple inquiries from U.S. citizens in Panama regarding Decree No.590 dated December 28, 2016, the Consular Section contacted the Panamanian Servicio Nacional de Migracion (SNM or Panamanian Immigration Office) for further clarification on the length of time U.S. Citizens are able to stay in Panama as tourists.  The SNM confirmed that U.S. citizens (as well as citizens of the UK, Canada, and Australia) are still allowed to enter Panama without a Panamanian visa and they can stay for up to 180 days as tourists. 

For more information regarding this matter, please visit the SNM’s Twitter account, which is available at the following link:  https://twitter.com/migracionpanama?lang=en

Stephanie Espinal

Unit Chief/Jefe de Unidad

American Citizens Services/Federal Benefits

Unidad de Asistencia a Ciudadanos Estadounidenses/Beneficios Federales

• This reply was deleted.
      • Karen... i probably have low expectations for bureaucrats

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…