location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

Interesting medical reimbursement policy

This post is going to be a lot more polite than what I am feeling.

Today I went to our well known hospital to pick up a check for the reimbursement of lab tests.  Previously, I had to resubmit the pink lab coupon because the physician had not written a diagnosis on it.  The physician (who I consider to be one of the best) did not seem to be aware of this necessity, but he gladly went over my records in fine detail and then very carefully considered a diagnosis for all the tests. He wrote it on the coupon.  I resubmitted it and waited my thirty days, only to be presented with a check that did not cover at least a third of the lab work.  I asked to be shown the original bill for the labs and saw various tests with stars written next to them to indicate that they did not fit the diagnosis.  I guess a highly respected physician with decades of experience is not qualified to order tests he thinks are pertinent to his patient?  Some upstairs paper pusher gets to decide? (ok, now I'm getting angry all over again!)  Now I have to go back to the physician and ask him to put down three more diagnoses that will justify the labs.  Silly me!  And I thought labwork was used to MAKE a diagnosis.

I have complained before about this hospital - that it is becoming more and more like what I left the US to get away from. Inflated charges (the $102 I paid for a basic sonogram is ridiculously high for Panama) and the game playing with reimbursements is very distressing to me.  OK I'm done ranting.

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks. Does anyone know the whereabouts of an online brochure particular to the Chiriqui plan? Is the upper limit the only difference between the two?
    • For what its worth,  you can find info here..

http://www.mschiriqui.com/

My advice would be to RUN FOR THE HILLS! lol

• I am trying to get a handle on the medical care in Panama and from reading all the posts, have arrived at the following which may not be correct so please correct if wrong: routine outpatient care is available at affordable cost from doctorsin boquete and david. However, if you have an accident or an illness that requires hospitalization, you need insurance coverage unless you go to the public hospital. If you get health insurance, you still must lay out the money for all treatment and medicine and then try to get reiumbursed and this is not an easy process. Well even if I could afford $4600 per year with BUPA of Canada or the $600 per year at the Chiriqui Hospital, I don't have enough money to layout if I had a serious illness. If I understand this correctly, even though I am in good health at age 69, who knows what next year might bring and that makes me reconsider coming to Panama for a year or more as I had planned. Judith
    • You don't have to have insurance to get into a private hospital. But if you don't have insurance, you have to make a deposit by cash or credit card prior to treatment. The deposit will depend on the type of care contemplated. Surgery generally will require a deposit equal to the anticipated costs of the operating room; in my experience this is generally $500. If your stay becomes extended, another deposit may be required. A hospital room is less than $100 a day, and routine tests are inexpensive.
      • Bonnie: I Think you may have answered the question below but if you can add ore, please do. From what you said, I could afford the $500, but not the suregon's fee, as a layout. Also, hospital room for a while, but then not and read about one man who was in the hospital for three months! Do you have do be discharged to have the reimbursement process kick in?  See below and thanks. This is the one issue holding up my move to Boquete. I feel now I would be playing Russian roulette with my health!

am trying to get a handle on the medical care in Panama and from reading all the posts, have arrived at the following which may not be correct so please correct if wrong: routine outpatient care is available at affordable cost from doctorsin boquete and david. However, if you have an accident or an illness that requires hospitalization, you need insurance coverage unless you go to the public hospital. If you get health insurance, you still must lay out the money for all treatment and medicine and then try to get reiumbursed and this is not an easy process. Well even if I could afford $4600 per year with BUPA of Canada or the $600 per year at the Chiriqui Hospital, I don't have enough money to layout if I had a serious illness. If I understand this correctly, even though I am in good health at age 69, who knows what next year might bring and that makes me reconsider coming to Panama for a year or more as I had planned.

• Judy's reply is correct. I would add, however, that the $600 a year the Hospital Chiriqui plan costs is not really insurance; it's a 70/30 co-pay with an $18,000 limit. This would certainly help with most illnesses, but it would be a drop in the bucket if you were facing something very serious which required long-term expensive care.  I am of the view that if you cannot afford international heath insurance or do not have a sizable cash reserve, you will not have peace of mind, but others disagree and/or are willing to take the risk that they will not require expensive care.

I posted the following recently in the yahoo expat health forum as an example of a "perfect storm":

My husband shattered his foot and ankle in an accident back in March, requiring
          complicated orthopedic surgery with pins and plates and a week's stay in
          Hospital Chiriqui. He subsequently contracted an infection in the wound which
          required another hospital stay of one week with round the clock IV antibiotics.
          A few weeks later the foot again was infected with an antibiotic-resistant
          bacteria. This required another surgery to remove the pins and plates and a
          month of hospitalization on a variety of IV antibiotics. After his release, he
          required IV antibiotics three times a day for 10 days. The wound was too deep to
          heal properly, so he underwent yet another surgery to remove part of his calf to
          graft over the wound. He still is on a variety of medications and is visiting
          the surgeon every few days for cleansing of the wound and checkups. Total number
          of doctors involved: 8. Total cost to date: $45,000 mas or menos--and that's
          with two of the surgeons discounting their work and with our pensionado
          discount. (I would point out that had he enrolled in the Hospital Chiriqui plan,
          the maximum paid would have been $18,000.) I have no doubt that he would have
          lost his leg and maybe his life had we been forced, because of lack of money or
          insurance, to go to the social security hospital because the antibiotics (we
          went through many before finding one that killed the bacteria) were extremely
          expensive and therefore not available there. He was cured only through the
          efforts of a team of doctors working over a period of several months.

• Is the split 30% copay from patient, and 70% hospital insurance pays-- under the Hospital Chiriqui plan? And does anyone have an email or telephone # for their billing dept? I'd like to get clarification about what $ I would have to lay out were I hospitalized there, assuming that reimbursement is for their share of the expenses that you paid-- still not clear how this works, so if anyone can clarify, it would be most helpful. Judith B.
            • Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/expathealth/ and click on the Files tab on the lefthand side. Look for the brochure on "MS Panama". I think it will answer your questions.( I note that the limit has been raised from $18,000 to $20,000.) Be aware, however, that there are many exclusions, as has been discussed here in previous posts.
              • Thanks, Bonnie I did go there. The policy still say $15,000 limit on the website. I contacted the department to ask about how much money I might have to lay out if I had an emergency hospital stay-- the entire cost? As I cannot afford to do this and wait for re-imbursement, it  would be a difficult situation to say the least. If they send a satisfactory answer, it will make the move to Boquete possible.

Do you know if you can buy the insurance from the USA so that you are covered from Day 1??

Judith

• By the way, if you contacted them by e-mail, don't expect a reply. Panamanian businesses seldom respond to e-mails.

I'm glad your mind is more at rest, but mine wouldn't be. As I and others have pointed out, what the plan does not pay for can add up to a sizable amount. Without cash reserves, you could find yourself in a bind. You write that you are in good health, but even persons in good health have accidents that could result in costly hospitalization. (See the above report of my husband's accident which resulted in about $45,000 in medical bills.) If you have a credit card with a high limit, you probably would be all right. But without that or money in the bank, you need to realize that you would be taking a risk.

I'm not trying to frighten you or discourage you, but you appear to want to truly understand the situation, so I am responding as honestly as I can.

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…