location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

Looking for new Cardiologist

I am looking for a cardiologist besides Dr. Adames who is now charging $100 for him to speak English to you. Any Recomendations?

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Dee. I had a Quadruple By-pass in 2006 in the USA. We have been here a little over five years, and Dr. Angazola has been my Cardiologist for the entire time. I am very pleased with him, and see him every four months.

• Dr. Anguizola's office is at Mae Lewis Hospital.  He became my cardiologist when I was admitted to Regional Hospital in David on February 23 of this year.  He is now my regular cardiologist.  

I have great respect for Dr. Anguizola - I think he is an excellent cardiologist.  His office phone number is 774-2453 - but his staff speaks only Spanish. 

---------

For those who are interested in my experience related to my mild heart attack in February of this year, here is my story...

I am a 74 y/o expat who moved here from Sonoma County in Northern California in early 2012.  I am a permanent legal resident of Panama, and have an E-Cedula (Panama's national ID card for non-citizen foreigners).  I have have no medical insurance in Panama.  My Medicare Supplement plan includes a $2,500 deductible, and I would have to go to Florida or elsewhere in the U.S. to use it.

I suffered a mild heart attack on February while carrying my stuff in to the BCP Center for the Tuesday Morning Market.  I became weak and dizzy, so I took everything back out to my car, and drove to Dr. Chen's office.  Dr. Gomez quickly had me lie down on the patient bed, ran an EKG, determined that I was having a cardiac "ischemic event"  - reduced blood flow to the heart muscles.  That visit cost $120.  Dr.Gomez called the 911 ambulance (my choice - minimal equipment, but a free ride).  They arrived soon, took me to the Regional Hospital in David.  (A better-equipped private ambulance would cost $250.)

After another EKG in the "coronaria" (coronary emergency unit), it was determined that my condition was not that serious, so I was on a bed in the very crowded coronary emergency area for about 12 hours.  (A new, bigger hospital is being built on the property, which will be a big help with the capacity problem.)

Although the coronary emergency doctor at first thought I might go home the next day, it was later decided to admit me.  I was moved upstairs to a six-bed coronary care room and confined to bed with not even bathroom privileges.  I was hooked up to a modern, high-tech heart monitoring machine.  After three days, I was disconnected from the heart monitor, and moved to a regular room on the cardio floor, still confined to bed.  On the 5th day, I was allowed to get out of bed and discharged after my sixth day.  Hospital cost for six days - just under $900. 

Dr. Anguizola's discharge orders for me included 30 days of not driving, resting at home, and not doing any kind of exercise of work.  My 30-day supply of 7 different cardiac medications cost $44 at the regional hospital pharmacy. 

My first follow-up appointment with Dr. Anguizola at his Mae Lewis Hospital office including an EKG and 1/2 hour consultation cost $75. Future appointments at 3-month intervals for now will be $50 or $60, and getting prescription renewals without seeing him costs $10.

My next appointment was for an echocardiogram (ultrasound), which cost $175, and no issues were found. 

A week later, my last follow-up appointment included a  stress test (EKG while walking on a treadmill) and some irregularities were found.  Dr. Anguizola recommended that I have an angiogram done.  I was quoted approximately $4,000 for an angiogram here in David, and $15,000 for an angioplasty if necessary.  He also said that I could probably get by with longer-tern medications, which I am doing for now. 

I am pretty much back to normal, and very impressed with the medical system and the medical professionals here in Chiriqui.  I am currently taking cardio aspirin ($7 for 30 tabs at Farmicia Revilla, $8 for 1,000 tabs via Amazon, which is $7 per month vs about $5 per year.)  My very low dose statin (Vastatina) is available at the public clinic pharmacy for $1.20 per month, and I had to show my cedula to get it.  (I don't know if having a cedula is a requirement.)  However, they don't carry my angina med, which is $15 per month at Farmacia Revilla.  My drug costs will be about $18 per month after I get the cardio-aspirin from Amazon. 

I am the first I know of in my family to have a heart attack, but the care and medical services here in Chiriqui are excellent, and I appreciate what they offer for such a reasonable cost. 

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…