location.href = 'https://boquete.ning.com/';

PENECO, S.A. Upholstery in David

Back in November, I took a chair frame in to Peneco, and spoke with the owner, picked out the fabric from his selection, and spoke specifically about what I wanted done.  He quoted me a total job price of $80-$85, and asked for a $20 deposit, which I paid.  I felt the price was a little high for the work to be done, but they came highly recommended.  I was told that the chair would be ready in two weeks, because he was very busy.  No problem.

After several trips back to Peneco in the interim, I went back today, and the chair was ready.  A two month process, not two weeks.  They did what they said they would do, and I found it acceptable..... until.... with a very big smile, the owner told me that they had obviously done a nice job, and the total would now be $200, not the $80-$85 quoted.  We had a conversation about the significant difference in price, which he was unable to justify to my satisfaction.  He wore the big smile the whole time, while three of his workers stood shoulder to shoulder next to him.

Draw your own conclusions from this experience.  He still has the chair and my $20.  I have yet another lesson learned in Gringo Bingo.  He is probably still smiling.

You need to be a member of Boquete Ning to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I am preparing to send out a big upholstry job. Does anyone know where to find the guy in Volcancito named Nery?
    PenRip
    • Penny, you might try asking at the auto mechanic shop part way up the Volcancito road on the right, or ask J.R. at El Constructor.  Or maybe the folks at Casa Colonial might know.
  • Here is some info I picked up at the Acodeco booth at the feria yesterday:

http://www.acodeco.gob.pa

Chiriqui region phone number: 775-2536 o 130

• The more I think about this, the more reprehensible I find it. He has your $20, and he has your chair, which he doubtless will turn around and sell for further profit. Bob, I know your plate is full right with the upcoming move, but I hope you will find time to file a claim and send Peneco a message that this type of behavior is not without consequences.
    • Perhaps arranging to get someone from this agency to speak at the Tuesday Morning Meeting would be beneficial to those who live here.
      • Dennis:

That is a very good idea.  I think that those people are not so fluent in english but give it a try. You all should know that you are protected as consumers about bad commercial practices.

• Bob:

This is unaceptable.  It shouldnt be allowed and must be reported to authorities.  That is not a good business practice.  That kind of person give panamanians business a bad name.  You should file a claim to stop this kind of behaviour.  There is consumer protection agency called Acodeco. 

Their website is http://www.acodeco.gob.pa.  In Chiriqui they have their office in David and their phone number is 775-2536.  Bob, please call them and file a claim.  Acodeco has solved in Panama a lot of claims from consumers.  Since this protection office started working in Panama they have won almost 95% of the cases against bad commercial practices. 

Let see how much time his smile will last.  Do this as a favor to expats and also panamanians that dont want this kind of bad commercial practices.

• Roger, thank you for the information.  I was unaware this agency existed.  I will contact them next week to see what we can resolve.  At the very least, it will let a business owner know that this sort of practice will not go unchallenged.
      • Bob:

Good.

Acodeco's slogan is "A very well informed customer has power..."

They are doing a intensive campaign to promote their services and teach consumers about our rights. 

I am sure that they will help you with this situation.  Please spread the word to anybody you know is having this kind of problems.  NO matters what kind of business... you can file a claim.

In Acodeco you can file claims also for

1.  Breaching of a contract

2.  Not honoring a warranty

3.  False Advertising

4.  Illegal or incorrect charges

• I used Peneco about three years ago to upholster some furniture. The sofa (white)  arrived badly soiled and eventually had to be recovered when I couldn't remove the soil. Moreover, they lost fabric I had provided to make some sofa pillows. I got an apology but no offer of recompense. Peneco is off my list of service providers.
This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

kenny waldrop replied to Lily's discussion 2 bedroom 2 bath rental for long or short term in Boquete Rentals
"Hello, beautiful place. How much are you asking?
Kenny
kendrop@hotmail.com 
 "
Feb 1, 2023
kenny waldrop replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"Hi, I see that the house is rented. Will it be available July 1st for 1 year lease?

Thank you,…"
Feb 1, 2023
Lynne Ditlow replied to Whskyman's discussion Brother Sewing Machine, Model GX37 in Boquete Classifieds
"Hi is this sold? "
Jan 30, 2023
Buenos Vecinos de Boquete posted a discussion
View this email in your browserBuenos Vecinos de Boquete Newsletter January 2023Family of the Month…
Jan 30, 2023
Dee posted a discussion
Does anyone know if Strong Tower Church is still operating? If it is, can you please tell me where…
Jan 29, 2023
Patrick posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
ANYONE HAVE A COMPUTER MONITOR AT LEAST 24"TO SELL ATA REASONABLE PRICE?IF SO, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT:…
Jan 27, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
 Do you have an iPhone or iPad with music loaded on it?  Want to be able to play that music over…
Jan 26, 2023
Panama Mac posted a discussion in Boquete Classifieds
Looking to treat your family to a WOW experience in Panama from the comfort of your own home?  …
Jan 24, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Hello....  Is already rented.  Thank you for your interes."
Jan 22, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Your link doesn't work"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
Jan 21, 2023
Myles replied to Fundrifter's discussion Awesome, huge 3 Bed/3 bath house Totally fenced. NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!! in Boquete Rentals
"Don't see link for photos !"
Jan 21, 2023
Fundrifter posted a discussion in Boquete Rentals
OWNER RENTS SPECTACULAR HOUSE OF 230 MTS.2 (CLOSED AREA) ON A LOT OF 1,400 MT 2. 3 BEDROOMS, 3…
Jan 21, 2023
Carlos Antonio Villarreal posted photos in Casa Prado
Jan 19, 2023
Cynthia Dunne replied to Jeff Larvick's discussion Driver’s License exam in English
"Hi Jeff, can you send me a copy of the exam if you still have it.   my email is…"
Jan 19, 2023
Patrick replied to Patrick's discussion Avail 01/15/23 House Rental, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath $500. in Boquete Rentals
"THE HOUSE HAS BEEN RENTED
 "
Jan 10, 2023
More…