The following post is meant to be a helpful resource for those considering a visit to Boquete and looking for lodging.
Sometimes those living in Boquete know the best questions to ask. This is a list of questions developed by local residents living in the Boquete area from 2 ½ to 10 years.
Everyone has individual preferences, and this list is not meant to be all inclusive. Its primary purpose is to provide the newcomer to Boquete a list of the basic questions that should be asked when deciding on a place of residence.
Location / General
This is rural Panama. It is considered the interior. The beauty of Boquete’s hills and mountains can also make for challenging walking conditions. Downhill in the morning means uphill in the afternoon, or a taxi or bus.
Know that although some places may be listed as only 10 minutes away, the walk may be strenuous, uphill and downhill, no sidewalks, broken sidewalks. Also take into account walking home in the rainy season and intense mid-day sun.
- How far away from town is the residence?
- Driving distance?
- Walking distance?
- How far away is the residence from a main walking road?
- Are buses available within walking distance? How often do they run? Cost?
- Are taxis easily available? Within walking distance? Cost?
- How close are the nearest neighbors?
- Are there any businesses close by? Such as a car shop, welding shop, bar or pool hall?
- Who is responsible for maintaining the property? If it is the tenant, is there is a reliable person to hire? How much might this cost and how often? Are tools provided to maintain the grounds? Weed wacker? Hedge trimmers?
- Are pets allowed? Any exclusions? Is there an additional security deposit for pets?
- Is the residence fenced?
- Are there outside security lights?
- Are there any security alarms installed? Video cameras?
- Is there any type of security system installed?
- Are security bars on windows? If yes, how many or are all windows barred?
What utilities are included in the rent and what is the tenant responsible for?
Does an account need to be established in the tenant’s name for any utility? If no, are the utility fees set for each month or sliding depending upon usage?
- Gas tanks
- Trash pickup
- Are there water reserve tanks on the property? How many and capacity?
- Water filtration?
- Water purification?
- Who is responsible for changing the filters?
- How many residences feed off the tanks?
- Has this residence ever experienced water shortage problems? If yes, how long?
- What type of hot water system is installed? Is this throughout the house or only in one area?
- Is this in the landlord’s name or the tenant’s name
- How many electrical outlets are in the home? Which areas?
- Are surge protectors for a computer, TVs, etc. provided or does the tenant provide their own?
- Is phone service available at or around the residence?
- Is the signal strong?
- Is the signal received inside the house or does the tenant need to stand outside to get phone service?
Ask yourself how important is it to be able to watch TV programs outside of Panama?
- Is service available at the residence?
- Is the service cable or wireless? Name of service provider?
- How many Mbps?
- Is this service in the tenant’s name or the landlord’s?
- May the tenant upgrade this internet at the tenant’s expense?
- What is the access to non-Spanish TV shows / programs?
- USTV Now
- Amazon Plus
- Hulu Plus
- Does the tenant need to supply any additional devices to access TV programs?
- Does the tenant need to provide their own VPN or DNS spoofer to access programs in countries other than Panama?
Other residents or those who have stayed in Boquete are welcome to post their suggestions.
Remember, the purpose of this post is to provide a resource so newcomers know the questions to ask before moving into a residence.
It is not to criticize how much TV one wishes to watch or whether water needs to be purified before drinking. A search on this website will pull up those discussions.
Please do not get into flaming, negative rants that offer no constructive advice. They may be removed.
Remember to check out and sign up to receive notices from The Boquete Business Rolodex Group
Here you will find recommendations from local residents for businesses and services to help assist you while in Boquete.